This week is National Gardening Week. With the aim to encourage everyone to get involved in gardening. We are doing our bit by offering you 10% off orders placed this week. Simply enter NGW10 at checkout to receive your discount.
We will also be attending our first Plant Fair this weekend at the RHS Hyde Hall. Will we see you there?
For full details or to find an event local to you visit -http://www.nationalgardeningweek.org.uk/
More and more people use mobiles and tablets to search and buy from the internet. Therefore this Winter we have been hard at work creating a new and fully functioning mobile friendly website. We like how the site looks and works however always welcome your feedback.
March Gardening Jobs
With what always seems to be such a long old season, the arrival of Spring usually in mid-March is always a welcome joy. The frequent sunny days provide the opportunity for an increasing range of gardening tasks, with longer days and lighter evenings. It’s time to get busy preparing seed beds, sowing seed, cutting back winter shrubs and generally tidying up around the garden.
Here are 10 top recommended jobs this month
- Plant shallots, onion sets and early potatoes
- Protect new spring shoots from slugs
- Plant summer-flowering bulbs
- Lift and divide overgrown clumps of perennials
- Top dress containers with fresh compost
- Mow the lawn on dry days (if needed), get the lawn mower serviced (if required)
- Cut back Cornus (dogwood) and Salix (willow) grown for colourful winter stems
- Weeds come back in to growth – deal with them before they get out of hand
- Start feeding fish and using the pond fountain; remove pond heaters
- Open the greenhouse or conservatory doors and vents on warm days
August Gardening Jobs
Traditionally August is the hottest month of the year and it is important to keep up with your watering, using recycled water where possible. Here at Hardy Plants Online we are busy back at the nursery tidying up and throwing out and potting up ready for shows later on in September. We don’t do any gardening shows in August but check out our shows page to see where we’ll be in September http://www.hardyplantsonline.co.uk/shows.html.
Here our top ten jobs to do in the garden this month –
- Prune your Wisteria
- Don’t delay summer pruning restricted fruits
- Deadhead flowering plants regularly to ensure repeat flowering
- Watering! Particularly containers, and new plants – preferably with grey recycled water or stored rainwater
- Collect seed from favourite plants
- Harvest sweetcorn and other vegetables as they become ready
- Continue cutting out old fruited canes on raspberries
- Lift and pot up rooted strawberry runners
- Keep ponds and water features topped up, again using rain water (make sure you have enough surface cover plants in your pond to restrict algae growth; can be purchased from www.watersidenursery.co.uk)
- Feed the soil with green manures
By following or liking the Hardy Plants Online facebook page you will get many benefits including special offers, latest news, and much more
Posted in Uncategorized
Tagged August, Facebook, flowering plants, grower, hardy, hardy plants, Hardy Plants Online, jobs, perennial, plants, Redman Plants, Twitter
Our First Blog Post
The first Hardy Plants Online Blog. Please keep a close eye on our regular blogs to get information on us, special offers, and planting tips.
Our new website has been completed for a few months now and I think you will agree it is very easy to navigate and showcases our collection of Hardy Herbaceous Perennials in a way that it should be.
It has been a funny year for growing plants, first we had all the hot weather, and then we were in a drought with a hosepipe ban and now we have rain almost everyday!!! It has been difficult for us as growers as some plants are flowering earlier than normal and others later.
We are currently attending different Garden Shows around the UK and next will be at the RHS Tatton Park Flower Show.
I hope you enjoy reading the posts and thank you for visiting Hardy Plants Online.